×

Na stronie http://www.imz.pl stosujemy pliki cookies (ciasteczka) w celu gromadzenia danych statystycznych oraz prawidłowego funkcjonowania niektórych elementów serwisu. Pliki te mogą być umieszczane na Państwa urządzeniach służących do odczytu stron. Dalsze korzystanie z naszej strony oznacza, że wyrażają Państwo zgodę na używanie cookies, zgodnie z aktualnymi ustawieniami przeglądarki.

General Information

Legal form

Łukasiewicz Research Network  ̶  Institute for Ferrous Metallurgy contributes to Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz (Łukasiewicz Research Network). The fundamental legal act regulating the activity of the Institute, remains the Act of February 21, 2019 on Łukasiewicz Research Network (Journal of Laws 2019, Item 534). The authority which supervises the activity of the Institute is a President of Łukasiewicz Centre.

The Institute is a legal entity and its activity is subject to an independent financial settlement.

Mission

Rendering scientific research, consulting and training services for steel producers, steel users and institutions involved in the steel business.

History

Institute originates from Stanislaw Staszic Scientific and Research Institute founded with resolution of the Council of Ministers of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Poland dated April 29, 1945.

In 1946, the Institute acquired its present abode in Gliwice at 12 Karola Miarki Street, where its laboratories and technical facilities were built in the 50s and 60s. In the years 1952-1953, certain research departments were spun off from the Institute. On this basis, two independent institutes were established: Institute of Non-Ferrous Metals and Institute of Refractory Materials. The remaining part was named Institute for Ferrous Metallurgy.

In the first stage, the Institute was involved in post-war reconstruction of Polish iron and steel industry, which had been largely destroyed during the Second World War, as well as in development of its production potential. At that time, the works conducted by the Institute were based on short-term needs of individual steel plants, and thus they were characterized by a wide dispersion of subject matter and a rather limited proportion of actual developmental research.

In the 1970s and 1980s, the Institute took part in dissemination of technical and engineering progress in the iron and steel industry, among others, the Institute implemented and popularized application of advanced types of steels: weldable and weather resistant, high-strength, extra-deep drawing steels, wear-resisting steels, and steels for power generation industry.

In the 1990s, the Institute actively joined works on restructuring of the iron and steel industry in Poland. The activities of the Institute produced numerous analytical and planning works, studies, as well as consulting services provided both in favour of business entities of the sector and state administration.

The Institute, as one of 32 entities, contributes to Łukasiewicz Research Network since April 1, 2019.

Employment

As of January 20, 2021 the Institute employs 114 people.

71 employees are involved in research activity, of which the experienced research staff counts:

  • 26 employees – with PhD title,
  • 6 employees – with  “dr habilitowany” title (habilitation),
  • 5 employees – with scientific title of professor.

In total, 44 people are employed in scientific and research and technical positions, including 2 PhD students and 24 people in engineering and technical positions. The number of administrative employees is 31 people. Number of service employees 15.


Backprint this document